Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Registration
The Program is responsible for:
- Reviewing and approving training courses and continuing education classes.
- Maintaining a registry of properly trained testers.
Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Registration Rules: 641 Iowa Administrative Code, Chapter 26
Registered Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers are listed at the following links. To verify the status of a backflow prevention assembly tester, please visit our online database, and click on Public Search. Then select Backflow Tester from the Program Name. Once the individual's record appears, click Details to learn more about their registration. If you find an error on the list, please notify the program contact below.
To obtain a new backflow tester registration in the State of Iowa, the applicant must complete an online application and provide documentation from one of the following:
- Initial application for registration must be made within 12 months after the date of completion of an IDPH approved 32 hour BPAT training course or
- Provide a current 3rd party certification from American Backflow Prevention Association (ABPA) or American Society of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE) or
- Provide a current out-of-state backflow prevention assembly tester credential from a state with similar or greater requirements for training and continuing education than does the state of Iowa.
Registration is valid for two years and will expire on October 31st of odd numbered years.
Initial Backflow Applicants
To apply for your backflow registration:
Detailed instructions to create an account is available at the website link above. If you do not have access to a computer or internet please call (515) 724-4209 for assistance. Your registration will be emailed to the email address you provide.
Renew a Registration
To renew your backflow registration:
Detailed instructions to create an account and how to renew your existing registration are available on the website link above. If you do not have access to a computer or internet please call (515) 724-4209 for assistance. Your registration will be emailed to the email address you provide.
Please note: Our renewal window does not open until July 1, 2021. You will not be able to renew prior to that date.
- An IDPH approved 5 hour BPAT recertification training course is required to renew. This course can be taken any time during your 2 year renewal period. Your training provider will upload your certification in our database. If the course has not been uploaded, please contact your training provider.
- You can also renew if you have a current 3rd party certification from either American Backflow Prevention Association (ABPA) or American Society of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE). You must provide a copy of your card or certification.
- Late fees start on October 1st to allow program staff time to process renewals before the October 31st expiration date. The late fee is $10 per month.
- A backflow registration can be inactive for 2 years and can still be reinstated. If it has been more than two years, you will need to retake the IDPH approved 32 hour BPAT training course.
- Processing time can take 1-2 weeks during renewal (July-October).
- Backflow Frequently Asked Questions
Training Related Resources
- Chelsea Stevens at (515) 724-3017
For information on the requirements for backflow prevention and cross-connection control please visit the State Plumbing Code website and click on the link to Chapter 25, Iowa State Plumbing Code
Primary Contact for the Iowa Plumbing Code
- John Kelly at (515) 724-9961