Hearth Systems Specialty License
The Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board per its legislative act will recognize hearth systems specialty license as a sublicense in the HVAC discipline. Certification from national Fireplace Institute is required for licensure. Other organizations may be considered with approval of the board.
“Hearth systems specialty license” means a sublicense under an HVAC license to perform work in the installation of gas burning and solid fuel appliances that offer a decorative view of the flames, from the connector pipe to the shutoff valve located within 3 feet of the appliance. This sublicense is further allowed to perform work in the venting systems, log lighters, gas log sets, fireplace inserts, and freestanding stoves.
Provide the board with evidence that:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- An applicant shall have no record of felony conviction relating to the profession as determined by the board. Applicants with a felony conviction will be subject to review by the board to determine eligibility for licensure.
- Must file an application and submit appropriate fees.
- The applicant possesses a valid certification issued by the National Fireplace Institute or equivalent authority approved by the board.
- National Fireplace Institute
- Hearth Systems specialty license fee - prorated based on the length of time the license is issued for. See Fees link for more information.
- Online Application - please review instructions PRIOR to applying. You must also attach, mail, or fax proof of your education and training. A license will not be issued without the required documentation.
- Specialty License Application (updated 6/2017) Please include proof of your current certification with your application. A license cannot be issued without this documentation.